Maximum overhangs for islands, bars, or anything else without supports such as corbels or steel bars are:
- 6” for 2cm Granite
- 10” for 3cm Granite
- 10” for 2cm Quartz
- 12” for 3cm Quartz
We can provide and install supports for overhangs for $150 each.
The unsupported portion of the overhang can never be more than 1/3 the width of the entire countertop.
Countertop Supports: We can provide and install supports for overhangs. Supports need to be added every 24” to 36” but not more than 12” from each end.
10" x 2-1/2" x 1/4"
13" x 2-1/2" x 3/16"
What length granite bracket will you need? Typically the bracket will be the same length as the overhang.
- The drawing below shows a 96 inch countertop with a 16 inch overhang past the pony wall. 20 inches total.
- The length of the bracket should include the width of the pony wall. In most instances the pony wall is 4 inches wide. The overhang plus the pony wall = 20 inches.
- Countertop supports should be set 3” to 4” back from the front edge of the countertop to insure they are hidden from view. So 20 inches - 4 inches = 16 inch brackets.
- If your pony wall is made from 2 x 6s then be sure to adjust your size to accommodate the extra 2 inches.
How many granite brackets will you need?
- Countertop brackets are generally spaced 18 - 24 inches apart.
- Start with a bracket at each end of the countertop set 4 - 6 inches away from the end.
- Now measure the space left - in this instance we have 96 inches minus the placement of the first two brackets placed 6 inches from the edge along with the width of the brackets (2.5 inches each) for a total of 79 inches left.
- 79 inches divided by 24 inches = 3.2 brackets. 3 granite brackets would be required for the space left.
- Countertop Length = 96 inches
- A bracket will be placed 6 inches in from each side
- The remaining space to support is calculated at 79 inches (96 inches - 12 inches (space from ends) - 5 inches (brackets width) = 79 inches)
- 79 inches divided by 24 inches = 3.2 brackets
- Order two granite brackets for the ends and three granite brackets for the middle for total of five countertop brackets.