Maximum overhangs for islands, bars, or anything else without supports such as corbels or steel bars are:
- 6” for 2cm Granite
- 10” for 3cm Granite
- 12” for 2cm Quartz
- 12” for 3cm Quartz
We can provide and install supports for overhangs for $150 each.
The unsupported portion of the overhang can never be more than 1/3 the width of the entire countertop.
Countertop Supports: We can provide and install supports for overhangs. Supports need to be added every 24” to 36” but not more than 12” from each end.
What length granite bracket will you need? Typically the bracket will be the same length as the overhang.
- The drawing below shows a 96 inch countertop with a 16 inch overhang past the pony wall. 20 inches total.
- The length of the bracket should include the width of the pony wall. In most instances the pony wall is 4 inches wide. The overhang plus the pony wall = 20 inches.
- Countertop supports should be set 3” to 4” back from the front edge of the countertop to insure they are hidden from view. So 20 inches – 4 inches = 16 inch brackets.
- If your pony wall is made from 2 x 6s then be sure to adjust your size to accommodate the extra 2 inches.
How many granite brackets will you need?
- Countertop brackets are generally spaced 18 – 24 inches apart.
- Start with a bracket at each end of the countertop set 4 – 6 inches away from the end.
- Now measure the space left – in this instance we have 96 inches minus the placement of the first two brackets placed 6 inches from the edge along with the width of the brackets (2.5 inches each) for a total of 79 inches left.
- 79 inches divided by 24 inches = 3.2 brackets. 3 granite brackets would be required for the space left.
- Countertop Length = 96 inches
- A bracket will be placed 6 inches in from each side
- The remaining space to support is calculated at 79 inches (96 inches – 12 inches (space from ends) – 5 inches (brackets width) = 79 inches)
- 79 inches divided by 24 inches = 3.2 brackets
- Order two granite brackets for the ends and three granite brackets for the middle for total of five countertop brackets.